Eight years ago I was hiking through a coffee farm on an excursion and had a crazy idea! I was in Nicaragua visiting my parents who had moved there in 2007 to go full-time in a non-profit they started serving the Nicaraguans devastated by hurricane Mitch.
New Song Mission was doing amazing things through health, wellness & community building initiatives, and I had to somehow get involved. When I walked the farm on our trip in 2012, I saw how hard the farmers worked, and when I tasted how wonderful their coffee was, the light bulb went off. I told my husband I was going to import coffee from that farm and donate a portion of the proceeds to New Song.
- Melissa Brown
Where the money goes
Your purchase of Well-Bean Coffee helps to support New Song Mission Nicaragua:
• The physical, mental, & spiritual well-being of the local people in the villages surrounding Chichigalpa, Nicaragua.
• Funding for New Song’s medical / dental clinic serving the underprivileged.
• Remote medical outreach serving rural villages where locals are without access to medical care.
• Community development expanding across 7 villages providing; feeding programs, “adopt a child” school sponsorships, sports ministry, and clean water initiatives.
• Check out the health initiatives your coffee supports!
• Well-Bean sources their Nicaraguan beans direct from “Finca de San Jose” in Matagalpa, Nicaragua
• What is “Direct-Trade?” This is when a roaster or coffee distributor pays the coffee farm directly rather than going through a broker or middleman.
• When farmers are paid through direct-trade relationships, they make up to 50% more profit than if their beans are sold through a broker.
• Direct trade allows the farmers to invest in quality coffee practices, sustainability, and providing a better quality of life for the farm workers during harvest.